I am here to tell you that is not true! Did you know that 1 in 3 students in this country transfer? Now, that number is a bit inflated since it includes students transferring from community to four-year colleges, but it should give parents and students comfort that not everyone ends up in the right place the first time around.

What do you do if you decide the college you thought was the right choice turns out not to be? Well, for starters, don't panic! Transferring might seem complicated, but the process is pretty straight forward. But there are a couple of things you REALLY need to think about before you start the process:


  • Why do you want to transfer? Are you unhappy with the academics? The student body? The location? Now that you have spent some time in college, you will have a much better idea of what you want and the environment where you would be happiest.


  • You will need to tell a couple of important people you want to transfer. If you have an academic advisor, that should be your first stop. If you don't have an advisor, then make an appointment with the Dean of Students.


  • Most colleges require a letter from one of your college professors. Since you haven't been in college that long, it might seem intimidating to ask a professor for a recommendation-particularly when you have to tell the professor why you need it! Don't worry. College professors understand that not every college is a good fit for every student.


The bottom line is that transferring is not simple, but for the student who really believes they are in the wrong place, it is an important part of the four-year college process. Whether you are a freshman, a sophomore, or even a junior, if you aren't having a positive experience and you think another college would be a better fit, don't stay where you are and be miserable-transfer!


H Stark Consulting is a premier college consulting firm focused on matching students with the best college options and alleviating the stress of the college application process.  For more information on services offered please Contact Us.